Surrey-based artist Nicola Howell Hawley, has been creating nature-inspired artwork for several years, beginning Howell Illustration in 2018. Originally graduating with a degree in Fine Art from the university of Reading, the last few years have seen her develop her detailed artwork into a colourful, clean style that blends traditional and contemporary elements.
Having originally started with just black-and-white drawings, she discovered a deep love of colour, and now creates posters, art prints and cards that bring an original edge to nature-inspired work, offering pieces that (she hopes) you see something new in every time you look. She adores illustrating and creating maps using both pen-and-ink, gouache and digital techniques, and considers herself a sustainable artist. With a love of nature driving everything she does, all her products are now zero waste.
She has illustrated several adult books for publishers including Quercus Books, Studio Books and Jo Fletcher Books, and created art for authors Stephen King, Gregory David Roberts and Kate Atkinson, commissioned by their publishers. Her first ever gallery piece ‘Autumn Leaves’ was accepted into the SGFA (Society of Graphic Fine Art) exhibition at the Mall galleries in London, 2020 and again in 2021.
To contact me about anything, get in touch
A few less formal facts about me:
* I am an avid board gamer, and would love to make/draw my own board game one day
* I love martial arts and did MMA, kickboxing and jiu jitsu alternately for several years
* I can read at a speed of around 100 pages an hour, which is handy for proofreading
* The meal I could eat every day for the rest of my life would be maccaroni cheese
* My comfort book that I always turn to in anxious moments is Sabriel by Garth Nix
* My heart bursts over anything remotely cute, whether animal, mineral, or complete inanimate
Little Nicola with my Grandad (left), and in 2021 (right)